US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that a broader agreement between the United States and Iran had been “largely negotiated” and that the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, signalling potential momentum toward ending the monthslong conflict.
Posting on Truth Social, Trump said: “An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalisation between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries.”
Trump added that discussions were continuing on the final details of the proposed arrangement.
However, Iran’s state-affiliated Fars News Agency disputed Trump’s characterization of the proposed agreement, reporting early on Sunday that the Strait of Hormuz would remain under Iranian control under the latest version of the proposal exchanged between Washington and Tehran.
According to Fars, Trump’s assertion regarding the strategic waterway was “inconsistent with reality”.
In his Social media post, Trump said: "I am in the Oval Office at the White House where we just had a very good call with Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, of the United Arab Emirates, Emir Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, and Minister Ali al-Thawadi, of Qatar, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah, of Pakistan, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, of Türkiye, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, of Egypt, King Abdullah II, of Jordan, and King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, of Bahrain, concerning the Islamic Republic of Iran, and all things related to a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.
"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed. Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well.
"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened."
Iran said on Saturday that it was working toward a memorandum of understanding to end the conflict after senior Iranian officials met with Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah.
The Pakistani military later said the negotiations had resulted in “encouraging” progress, while two Pakistani sources involved in the talks described the proposed arrangement as “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war”.
According to sources familiar with the negotiations, the proposed framework under discussion would unfold in three stages: formally ending the conflict, resolving the crisis surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, and launching a 30-day window for negotiations on a broader agreement that could be extended if needed, a Reuters report said.
Sources familiar with the discussions also said recent versions of the memorandum of understanding envisaged a gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports as part of a broader de-escalation process.
Qatar has also been involved in the diplomatic efforts, with a Qatari delegation recently visiting Tehran as discussions continued over the proposed framework agreement.
During a meeting with Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir on Saturday Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed that securing the legitimate and lawful rights of the Iranian people remains Tehran's primary objective in its negotiations with the US, IRNA news agency said.