Pakistan has conveyed to the United States a revised Iranian proposal aimed at ending the Middle East conflict, a Pakistani source told Reuters on Monday, after US President Donald Trump rejected Tehran’s earlier plan as unacceptable.
Trump had reiterated that Iran must abandon its nuclear ambitions as part of any lasting agreement.
Despite Washington’s public rejection of Iran’s earlier proposal, Tehran said contacts with the United States have continued through Pakistani mediation.
The new proposal comes as a fragile ceasefire remains in place following six weeks of war triggered by US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran. But negotiations mediated by Pakistan have stalled, and Trump has warned that the truce is “on life support.”
The Pakistani source did not provide details of the revised proposal but said both sides were struggling to narrow their differences.
Trump said over the weekend that “the Clock is Ticking” for Iran. “They better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” he wrote on Truth Social.
According to Axios, Trump is expected to meet senior national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss options, including the possibility of resuming military action if diplomacy fails.
Iranian officials have maintained that the country’s right to enrich uranium is non-negotiable, underscoring a central sticking point in the talks.
14-point plan revised
Speaking at his weekly press conference on Monday, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said Washington had conveyed “a set of revised points and considerations” via Pakistan last week after Iran submitted its proposal and the US raised its own concerns.
“After we presented the 14-point plan, the American side raised its considerations. In return, we also presented our considerations,” Baqaei said in response to a question raised by IRNA’s correspondent.
“Last week, despite the American side publicly announcing that this plan was rejected, we received through the Pakistani mediator a set of revised points and considerations reflecting their views,” he added.
The spokesperson said Iran had reviewed the latest proposals in recent days and had already delivered its response to Washington through the same channel.
Iran’s enrichment right ‘non-negotiable’
Baqaei dismissed media speculations about the contents of the US proposal, particularly reports concerning Iran’s uranium enrichment activities and stockpiles of enriched material, saying such claims were “not close to reality.”
He stressed that Iran’s right to enrich uranium was non-negotiable and rooted in international law.
“The issue of rights is not something about which we are willing to negotiate or compromise,” he said. “Iran’s right to enrichment is recognised on the basis of the NPT [Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty]. There is no need for anyone or any other party to recognise it for Iran; this right already exists.”
Iran, Oman developing transit mechanisms for Strait of Hormuz
Commenting on the Strait of Hormuz, Baqaei described the strategic waterway as vital not only for Iran, Oman and regional states, but for the entire world.
He said Iran had consistently worked to ensure safe maritime transit through the strait and remained committed to maintaining secure passage.
Baqaei said measures adopted by Tehran following “the blatant law-breaking of the US and the Zionist regime” were consistent with international law and Iran’s right to defend its sovereignty and national security.
He added that consultations with Oman were continuing, including expert-level talks held in Muscat last week aimed at developing mechanisms to guarantee safe navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.