Abu Dhabi gears up for top jewellery show
Abu Dhabi, March 10, 2013
Luxury, style and sparkle return to Abu Dhabi this week with the opening of the 21st International Jewellery and Watch Show (JWS) on March 14 at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.
Running till March 18, JWS will be five days of glittering gold, dazzling diamond and glamorous gemstones as the jewellery world unveils the latest fashion designs including creations from new artists competing for the first EBDA’A Award, national jewellery design competition, said the event organisers, Reed Exhibitions.
The budding jewellery designers are a step closer to realizing their dreams with the winners of the EBDA’A Awards to be announced on March 16. The awards are open in three categories including daywear and casual jewellery, evening wear and contemporary interpretation of traditional jewellery.
Raya Dandal, the show manager for Reed Exhibitions, is very satisfied with the outcome of the EBDA’A Award competition.
“We have been receiving a large number of participation requests, which reflects the extensive interest in jewellery designing among the UAE population. This competition is very close to our heart as it demonstrates our ongoing efforts to enhance the jewellery designers within our communities,” remarked Raya.
Leading Abu Dhabi jewellers Al Masaood Jewellery and Mansour Jewellers are sponsoring the EBDA’A Award 2013.
Asma Bennani, the general manager of Mansour Jewellers, said: “We are really delighted that the show has taken such an initiative this year, we are keen on contributing to the development of the young talents who wish to pursue a career in the jewellery industry. We are so excited to see the outcome of the participants’ designs, which can translate into actual innovative products.”
Rafif Al Trabishi, the general manager of Al Masaood Jewellery, a member of the judging committee for the EBDA’A competition and part of the Abu Dhabi Gold Group, pointed out that his company was committed to developing new design talent.
“Our sponsorship comes as a result of our absolute belief in the importance of encouraging and stimulating the talents of young and non-professional jewellery designers in the UAE, in such a way that will develop their career further and add an innovative edge to their jewellery designs,” observed Al Trabishi.
“The jewellery industry is witnessing tremendous growth on a global scale, especially in terms of design and shapes. We are always keen on being up-to-date with such growth, and we believe that supporting such competitions will contribute to encouraging new trends that will cater to our customers’ demands,” he added.
Besides Trabishi, the EBDA’A Awards judging panel includes the region’s renowned jewellery experts, including Azza Al Qubaisi, an Emirati entrepreneur and jewellery designer; Muna Al Haddad, an Emirati jewellery owner and designer; and Rizwan Mahmood, representing the National Institute for Vocational Education (NIVE).
The visitors to the JWS 2013 too get a chance to win over Dh100,000 ($27,220) worth of prizes in the daily raffle draws, including 30 branded watches and a jewellery set from Mohammed Rasool Khoory, jewellery from Dhamani, 15 2-night vouchers from Rotana Hotels and a voucher from Dubai Exotic Limo.
Over 120 exhibitors from 20 countries, including Italy, Brazil, Singapore, China, Japan, Turkey, the UK and the USA, will display the latest jewellery and watch designs.
Exhibitors returning from last year’s JWS include Mohammed Rasool Khoory, Al Masaood Jewellery, Salem Al Shuebi, Amwaj, Mansour Jewellers, Dhamani Jewels, Devji Aurum, F.R Hueb, Goldesign, George Hakim, Butani, Hanna Freres, Yessayan and Zelaand Zydo.
Joining them this year are new exhibitors such as Salem Al Saman, Istana, Crivelli, L.Sunderdas, Zaveri Jeweller and Temptation.
The 21st International Jewellery and Watch Show, co-located with the Luxury Gift Show, will run till March 18 from 4pm until 10pm each day. The admission fee is Dh20.
“The number of exhibitors grows each year, and as we enter our 21st edition, we welcome our new and returning exhibitors who will bring with the latest jewellery and watch designs from around the world,” said Dandal.
The International Gemological Institute (IGI), the world’s largest independent laboratory for testing and evaluating gemstones and fine jewellery, will be running a free 30-minute “Know Your Diamond” seminar both on the opening day on March 14 and 15 from 7pm.
IGI will also be conducting consultations of diamonds and jewellery at their stand. Also their expert gemologists will be on hand to offer a free verbal consultation based on the Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat weight of the diamonds so visitors can check before they buy, stated Dandal.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet
- Italian fashion brand opens Dubai Mall store