France makes new arms offers to Qatar
Doha, June 23, 2013
France has made new offers on supplying military equipment to Qatar and is optimistic about the outcome, French President Francois Hollande said in an interview published on Sunday.
France is the top military supplier to the country and has been hoping to sign a contract to equip Qatar's air force with Rafale fighter planes made by Dassault .
"We supply light and modern arms to the Qatari army," Hollande told Qatar's state news agency QNA, according to a transcript.
"I made new proposals for air, land and naval defence. I am quite confident that we will make progress in each of these areas," he said, without giving details.
The French president is in Doha for a meeting of Western and Arab countries which are opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and seeking an end to the two-year-old Syrian conflict.
Paris has close commercial and political ties with Qatar and also hopes to use Hollande's visit to push France's commercial interests in the country and encourage investment into France, where gas-rich Qatar already has assets of about $10 billion.
"France will always be there for Qatar to ensure its defence and security," Hollande said.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'
- Kuwaiti Emir undergoes minor surgery
- Special court to deal with travel bans backed