Oman plans to add 2,000 hotel rooms in 2013
Muscat, March 25, 2013
Oman expects to open several new hotels and complexes with more than 2,000 resort and hotel rooms to be added in 2013, with Muscat seeing the majority of growth with over 720 new rooms, said a report.
New hotel openings in 2013 include the Fraser Place Sohar which is currently on track to open later on in 2013 and the Azaiba Hotel, Muscat, an $80 million five-star project that is expected to be operational by mid-2013, added the release by Oman Ministry of Tourism.
The Sultanate's expanding hotel portfolio will soon include Four Seasons, Banyan Tree Hotels and Hotel Missoni in Muscat's Jebel Sifah project.
Omran, a leading tourism-related development, hospitality management and investment company in Oman, has recently announced that it has passed the 60 per cent construction mark of its 2,000 metre hilltop luxury project, the Alila Jabal Akhdar Resort, set to open its doors in December. The 110-room Khasab Hotel in Musandam is also set to open towards the end of 2013.
These developments are in addition to boutique hotels that opened in 2012 including the five-star Juweira Boutique Hotel, Salalah Beach, The View and Sahab Hotel in the Jebel Akhdar mountain range and the Jebel Sifah boutique hotel near Muscat.
Following the Sultanate's sustainable tourism model, Omran recently completed the installation and furnishing of ten eco-friendly luxury tents at Ras Al Jinz Turtle Reserve. The increase in accommodation availability also included the completion of an 800 metre walkway that enables visitors to move from the reserve's Scientific and Visitor Centre to the tents' picturesque location.
The Duqm City Hotel, a 117-room business hotel equipped with comfortable rooms and business amenities, opened its doors at the end of 2012 catering for business travellers with the four-star, 200-room Duqm Crowne Plaza both ideally located from which to visit the Duqm Rock Gardens.
Developments around the Sultanate include a 20-room and 12-villa Cheval Blanc Resort on Sodah Island with private beaches for each unit and a new Crowne Plaza in the Oman Convention & Exhibition Centre precinct both due to be completed by the end of 2015.
The Oman Convention & Exhibition Centre, due for completion at the end of 2015, is set to become an iconic landmark for the Sultanate. Surrounded by nature it overlooks a wadi that is a haven for Oman's exotic bird life. The facility is suited to host international, regional and national conventions, exhibitions and business events.
Amongst its features will be a tiered auditorium seating 3,200 people and more than 22,000 square metres of exhibition space. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers