Thursday 28 August 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Oman Air publishes pilot eligibility criteria

Muscat, January 6, 2013

Oman Air, the national airline of the Sultanate, has restated its commitment to recruiting Omani pilots by publishing detailed eligibility criteria.

It will offer potential candidates straightforward advice on how Oman Air selects its pilots and what will be expected of them, a statement from the airline company said.

The move comes following the receipt by Oman Air of hundreds of requests for information about how to apply for a place on the airline’s much-coveted cadet pilot training programme. It also supports Oman Air’s robust and proactive policy of recruiting Omani citizens to positions within all areas of its operations, thereby helping to build a vital and sustainable skills base within the Sultanate.

This approach has already seen the highly successful appointment of Omanis to senior management positions, as well as front-line roles, and entry into the cadet pilots training programme is seen as the starting point in a long and rewarding career with Oman Air, the statement said.

The selection criteria for the trainee-pilots have been drawn up by the airline’s flight operations department based on the global developments in the field of pilot training and they reflect international requirements for obtaining commercial pilot’s licenses.

The criteria are framed to cover two types of trainee-pilots: those who are sponsored by the airline under the cadet-pilot programme, and trainee-pilots who are self-sponsored (ab-initio pilots).

Candidates under the first category will undergo a predetermined assessment process set out by an appointed flying college.

In addition they must be Omani nationals not exceeding 26 years of age with minimum educational achievements of general diploma/secondary school certificate, including marks of not less than 80 per cent in mathematics, physics and English language.

Successful applicants will be enrolled in the cadet-pilot programme and will be required to contribute to 30 per cent of the study cost, with the remaining 70 per cent being covered by Oman Air, and the duties and responsibilities of the trainee and Oman Air will be set out in a contract signed by both parties.

Applicants for the self-sponsored (ab-initio pilots) category will, if accepted, undergo the applicable pre-employment assessments provided by Oman Air’s appointed flying college, in the same way as all cadet pilot applicants.

However, in line with international standards, as of January this year, Oman Air will only consider applicants from one of five internationally-recognised training colleges: Flight Training Europe (Spain); Ayla Flight Academy (Jordan); CAE-Oxford Flight Academy (UK); CTC wings (UK); and Enac (France).

In all cases, ab-initio candidates must be no older than 30 years of age and have obtained their JAA CPL/IR-ME qualification with JAA-Frozen APTL. Furthermore, they must have achieved a minimum of 100 hours solo flying time and a minimum of 200 hours total flying time.

Flight Safety and potential command ability are key factors in Oman Air’s pilot training selection process, the statement said. The assessment consists of three phases - phase one includes a pilot aptitude test (Pilapt)/group exercise, general interview and simulator test.

Phase two consists of a psychometric test and theoretical technical knowledge exam, whilst phase three consists of ICAO ELP, pilots medical examination and a final Oman Air interview.

Success in each phase will qualify an applicant to the next phase and failure in any phase will automatically disqualify the applicant from the assessment. However, Oman Air will offer unsuccessful candidates a second chance to undertake the assessment following a minimum six-month period and provided that a position on the course becomes available, in line with the flight operation department’s manpower and training plan.

Selection to undergo the pre-employment assessment for any trainee-pilot type is not, in itself, a guarantee of employment, it said.

Recruitment in advance of the start of individual training programmes will be announced, together with documentary requirements and entry criteria, through the media and potential candidates will be invited to apply at that time. – TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Oman | Muscat | Oman Air | Pilots |

More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads