Cyprus ‘safe for visitors despite blast’
Manama, July 12, 2011
Visitors to Cyprus have nothing to fear despite an explosion at a naval base yesterday (July 11) that killed 12 people, officials claimed.
Dozens of others were injured in the blast, which took place at the Evangelos Florakis base in Zygi in the southern part of the island.
It damaged the country's largest power plant and caused power cuts in several areas, including the city of Larnaca and as far away as the capital Nicosia.
The explosion was triggered when a fire set alight containers of armaments Cyprus confiscated from an Iranian ship on its way to Syria in violation of UN sanctions in 2009.
The intensity of the explosion caused extensive damage to a neighbouring farming community and popular holiday resorts up to two miles from the site.
However, the Cypriot honorary consul in Bahrain moved to reassure travellers.
"Visitors have nothing to worry about," said an official. "They may face power disruptions in certain areas, which exclude tourist areas, as tourist areas have been given priority."
Gulf Air, which operates six flights a week to Cyprus, also confirmed its schedule was running normally.
"No flights have been cancelled, the six direct flights per week to Cyprus still continue," she said.
Cyprus is a popular holiday destination for Bahrain residents and more than 600 people travelled there last year. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria
- Gulf Air launches loyalty promotion
- Hala Abu Dhabi launches tours, safaris
- Kenya starts work on $654m airport project
- Gulf Air wins top eContent award
- Dubai fund ICD buys landmark Atlantis hotel
- Qatar Airways to launch Dallas/Fort Worth route
- Ritz-Carlton Bahrain appoints new sales chief