NGOs to get retail space at Jordan airport
Amman, March 5, 2013
Airport International Group (AIG), the Jordanian consortium responsible for the rehabilitation, expansion and operation of the Queen Alia International Airport, has signed partnership agreements with non-profit, non-governmental organizations Jordan River Foundation (JRF) and the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature (RSCN).
The two NGOs endeavour to launch socio-economic and environmental initiatives that empower local communities by generating employment opportunities.
By virtue of the agreements, JRF and RSCN will showcase and sell traditional hand-made products at the soon-to-be-inaugurated QAIA terminal.
All featured products are made by local craftsmanship in order to enable underprivileged communities and families working under the NGOs’ handicraft and economic programs to raise their living standards.
By designating retail space to these NGOs, Airport International Group endeavors to support them in helping their beneficiaries realize their full economic potential and overcome social challenges.
AIG chief executive officer Kjeld Binger said, “These organizations have been instrumental in employing underprivileged Jordanians in marginalized and rural areas. Through this partnership, not only do we hope to support them in securing sustainable incomes for their beneficiaries, but we also aim to give them the opportunity to showcase Jordan’s rich culture and local craftsmanship to our esteemed passengers.”
The RSCN and JRF stores will be located in the north pier and south pier respectively. The new building’s 6,000 sq m retail space is 25 per cent larger than the airport’s older retail area, and features a wider selection of world-class hotel facilities with limited capacity, food and beverage venues, shopping outlets, children play areas and much more.
The landmark terminal - now almost 92 per cent complete - setting QAIA as an ideal choice for leisure and business travelers as well as a convenient transfer hub, and will be a source of pride and prosperity for all Jordanians.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept