Jacky’s sees 40pc growth in Netbook demand
Dubai, June 23, 2009
Jacky’s Electronics, a leading UAE multi-electronics retailer, has seen a 40 per cent increase in demand for Netbooks for the first six months of 2009 as compared to last year and its overall sales contributed 20 per cent of the company’s total revenue.
The Netbook segment continues to show buoyant sales for all vendors and channel partners as well as big box retailers such as Jacky’s and is one of the IT categories that has not seen any negative impact from the current economic slowdown.
Within Jacky’s outlets, the most popular Netbook brands are Acer, Toshiba, HP, Samsung and Dell.
“Netbook will be a key growth opportunity in the IT sector for the rest of 2009 as it maintains a positive sales momentum,” said Jimmy Patel, General Manager, Jacky’s Electronics.
“The sales mix of Netbooks to notebooks will increase and will translate in a growth opportunity for most retailers. Netbooks will continue to gain market share due to consumer demand, price points, portability, design and features,” he added.
“The Netbook offering is too good for the consumer to shy away from a purchase and is a big step in mobile computing. It is a perfect cheaper alternative to laptops with its unique processing power making it ideal for net surf and chatting. Netbooks have become popular with UAE customers due to a number of expatriates living here who are looking for an affordable way to keep in touch with their loved ones back home.”
Among the upcoming trends in Netbooks are improved graphics capabilities allowing high definition viewing, new processor technologies apart from Intel’s Atom such as Netbooks with ARM processors and built-in webcams.
New models of Netbooks will also incorporate Windows 7 and Google’s Android operating system while Oracle is interested to delve into the Netbook OS game.
“One of the key market drivers in this category is the strong vendor push and Netbooks will sustain the buoyancy even in the current economic scenario. The demand may shift to screen sizes of 10-inch and new technologies such as touch screen models, ultra-portability, better design and improved graphics and OS,” Patel concluded.
This summer, Jacky’s Electronics is offering external DVD Writer and one year international warranty for every purchase of HP2140 Netbook and Acer AOD250-1 Netbook while Packard Bell DOT_S.AC/02 is bundled with a one year traveller’s warranty.
This exclusive Netbook promotion which includes free meal vouchers from Hotbrands line of food outlets will be available in all 14 Jacky’s outlets across Dubai, Sharjah and in the recently opened outlets at Bawadi Mall in Al Ain and Ajman City Centre. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept