Iran restates threat to take project off China
Tehran, August 13, 2011
Iran reiterated to China on Saturday it could take back control of a gas field being developed by its national oil company unless it speeds up investment, one week after the new Iranian oil minister said no foreign contractors were needed.
'Ultimatums will certainly be given to the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) if the delays in developing the phase 11 of South Pars continues,' Ahmad Qalebani, head of National Iranian Oil Co(NIOC) was quoted as saying by the semi-official Mehr news agency.
The National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) said in June that it would 'replace CNPC with domestic companies' if the Chinese company did not step up the pace of the project, and the latest warning came after Oil Minister Rostam Qasemi said Iran's Revolutionary Guards' engineering arm should take over from foreign companies.
'If the current trend of the development of South Pars phase 11 continues, it is also possible that the whole contract be ceded to powerful domestic contractors,' Qalebani said.
Qasemi joined the Oil Ministry this month after heading Khatam al-Anbia, the Revolutionary Guards' company that has become increasingly active in Iran's energy sector and many other parts of the economy.
The Guards, Khatam Al-Anbia and Qasemi himself are all under sanctions imposed by countries, including the United States and the European Union, that accuse them of involvement in helping Iran develop nuclear technology that could be use for weapons, something Tehran denies it is seeking.
Tehran signed a $4.7 billion contract with CNPC in 2009 to help develop phase 11 of South Pars -- the giant gas field that Iran shares with Qatar -- replacing France's Total which it had accused of repeated delays.
Total and other European companies were forced to pull out of Iran by tightened EU sanctions that banned companies from investing in Iran's oil and gas industries. US companies were already banned.
Analysts expected Asian companies to take much of that business, but Iran has expressed dissatisfaction with the pace of work.
Iran has the second biggest gas reserves in the world after Russia, but sanctions over its disputed nuclear programme and other factors have slowed its development as a major exporter.
The offshore South Pars field, the world's largest reservoir of gas, contains about half of the estimated 28 trillion cubic metres of the country's gas reserves.
Iran said last year production at South Pars rose by nearly 30 per cent during 2009-10 and that the field is expected to generate income of up to $130 billion annually once all 24 development phases are completed. – Reuters
More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories
- Egypt to permit factories to use coal for energy
- ME oil, gas transaction value up 15pc
- Victrex to showcase new product in Paris
- Aramco JV puts off giant refinery overhaul to 2015
- Libya threatens to bomb N Korean tanker
- Bahrain 'producing 850MW of surplus power'
- 2,000 experts for Bahrain geosciences summit
- Libyan rebels start oil exports, bypassing govt
- Dubai drilling company set for London IPO
- Opec output soars on higher Iraq exports
- S Korea to pay Iran $550m under nuke deal
- Qatar LPG exports will stay unchanged till 2018
- $14bn Bahrain energy sector focus for summit
- Iraq now world's fastest-growing oil exporter
- Old IT systems pose risk to oil firms
- Thomson Reuters adds commodity monitoring tool
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- GlassPoint appoints new Oman director
- Sheffield company opens Dubai hub
- Oman targets big rise in gas output
- Intertek buys UAE firm for $66m
- Qaiwan to tender Baizan refinery EPC contract
- Al Maha wins Oman Air fuel supply deal
- Iran to become top gas importer by 2025
- UAE hydrocarbon projects seen hitting $11bn
- Summit focus on occupational safety
- Aramco names new senior VP
- Siemens gets $253m Qatar power contract
- Taqa-led group's India deal worth $1.6bn
- Taqa-led group to buy India power plants