BMW’s Mideast sales jump 28pc in Q1
Dubai, April 11, 2013
The BMW Group sold a total of 6,303 BMW and MINI vehicles in 13 Middle East markets in the first three months of the year, marking an increase of 28 per cent over the same period of 2012.
The UAE remained the largest market for BMW Group Middle East sales in the first quarter, accounting for just over half (51 per cent). Abu Dhabi continued to be the highest volume selling market with 1,906 vehicles sold, followed by Dubai with 1,317 vehicles sold.
Other markets that showed double digit sales increases included Bahrain 99 per cent, Kuwait 56 per cent, Qatar 31 per cent, Jordan 24 per cent and Oman by 12 per cent.
These positive sales figures highlight the strong demand for BMW and MINI vehicles and the strength of the brands. BMW is currently ranked 14th in Fortune magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies," and is the only car manufacturer and only European company listed among the top 15 of the Top 500 Most Admired companies in the world.
Dr Joerg Breuer, managing director, BMW Group Middle East, said: "There are a number of contributing factors which play a crucial role towards our record breaking first quarter. First of all it helps that we are operating in a favourable economic environment.
“This is coupled with the strength of our brands and the launch of new models such as the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé as well as models that are already strongly established in the Middle East, such as the BMW 7-, 5- and 3-Series, X6 and X5. And, the ambition of our importers who continuously invest to cater for the growth of our brands and improve their customer service offering."
The BMW 5 Series was the best selling model with 1,286 cars sold, followed by the newly refined flagship BMW 7 Series with sales of 1,134 cars.
Other best selling models included the BMW X5 Sports Activity Vehicle with 1,098 cars sold; the BMW 3 Series with sales of 644 cars and the BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupe with 767 cars sold.
During the first quarter the Group has seen increased interest in the personalisation of vehicles,
Dr Breuer added: “In the first quarter we launched the BMW 7 Series and 6 Series Pearl Individual vehicles to showcase examples of what can be produced from our BMW Individual programme. These vehicles have unique materials, paints and interior trim options and have been so well received that these 88 bespoke units produced are almost all sold out."
MINI: As popular as ever
During the first quarter, MINI sales in the Middle East grew 11 per cent with 391 cars sold in nine Middle East markets.
Sales were led by the MINI Countryman – the first MINI with four doors and four wheel drive capabilities – while the MINI Coupé and MINI Roadster were also strong contributing factors to the brand's first quarter 2013 success.
“We have several key model launches planned for the year which include the new BMW M6 Gran Coupé with a twin-turbo 560 bhp, and the BMW 4 Series Coupé amongst some other exciting new models,” Dr Breuer said.
“It is the exceptional design and engineering of our vehicles, and premium service offered by our importer partners that allows us to be optimistic about achieving another record year in the Middle East. Our aim is to outsell our sales achievements in 2012 and retain our leading premium automotive manufacturer positioning,” he concluded. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers