Nissan recalls five 2013 models
New York, March 13, 2013
Nissan Motor Co is recalling five 2013 model year vehicles, including top sellers Altima and Sentra, because the front passenger airbag may not deploy in a crash, the automaker told US regulators.
The models in the recall are Nissan's Altima, Sentra, Pathfinder and Leaf as well as Infiniti JX35, it said on Wednesday.
Nissan did not supply the number of vehicles involved in the recall, or when they were manufactured. The reported recall affects only models sold in the United States. Nissan did not say whether vehicles in other countries will be recalled.
Sensors that determine if a passenger is sitting in a seat may not have met specifications and do not detect a rider, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said. If a crash occurs and no passenger is detected, the air bag may not deploy.
The recall is expected to begin next month.
Documents filed with the NHTSA did not say whether any injuries or accidents have occurred as a result of the potential defect.
Nissan determined a recall should be conducted on Feb 21, two months after the automaker noticed an increasing number of warranty claims from owners who said their airbag detection dashboard warning was lit, according to documents filed with the NHTSA.
Also, Nissan is recalling about 400 Sentras made from Sept 11 to Oct 4 last year because fuel tanks were not properly sealed. This may lead to a small leak of gasoline when the tanks are filled, Nissan told the NHTSA. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers