Mercedes-Benz launches 3 SUVs at Oman event
Manama, January 7, 2013
Luxury German automaker Mercedes-Benz recently launched its new seven-seater GL, all-purpose compact GLK and the iconic new G 500 at an off-road media event in Oman.
The SUVenture included the Middle East driving experience for the Mercedes-Benz M-Class.
The new Mercedes-Benz GL offers best in class engines, powerful performance, space, refinement and cutting edge technologies, while the GL features the first-class comfort of a luxury saloon, a statement said.
The new GL has six driving programs for optimising driving dynamics and handling safety, as the optimum drive system control is provided for a wide range of on-road and off-road operating conditions.
With the ability to travel almost 900 km on just a single tank of fuel, numerous measures significantly increase the energy efficiency in the 435 hp GL 500 4Matic BlueEfficiency petrol model, with fuel consumption cut by about 18 per cent.
“Courtesy of Mercedes, I spent three glorious days in Oman last week test driving the new Mercedes-Benz GL-500 and ML-500 SUVs,” said George Middleton, chairman of Red House Marketing.
“We made a 750 km round-trip from Muscat driving through wadies and desert sands, motorways and narrow mountain roads; navigating obstacle trails through dust haze and shale stones, ultimately unscathed. The new range of Mercedes-Benz SUVs combine luxury, comfort and safety with dynamic on and off-road capabilities.”
Running for a month with each expedition lasting three days and covering over 720 km, participants departed Almouj Golf Club in Muscat and crossed the Wahiba Sands to camp the first night in luxury Bedouin desert camps.
Day two saw the convoy leave the dunes – known to be some of the highest in the Middle East – to cross the jebel and wadis and reach the world class Sifawy Boutique Hotel on the coast in evening, where guests enjoyed the warm, friendly hospitality characteristic of the Omani people.
The final leg of the journey took in stunning views overlooking the capital, before concluding at the Almouj Golf Club.
“In all honesty the whole trip was perfect, the event planned was great for me as I managed to experience firsthand how even the most luxurious SUV's from Mercedes-Benz were so able to perform even in the most daring of terrains. I hope that every Mercedes-Benz fan gets the opportunity to experience the capabilities of your exquisite line-up,” said Tarek Rashdan, sales and marketing director of Maxmedia.
All participants got a chance to experience each model as both driver and passenger to gain a first-hand understanding of what ‘The Best or Nothing’ really means when it comes to Mercedes-Benz SUVs.
Mercedes-Benz has an off-road heritage of over 100 years, and now boasts an unrivalled SUV family offering the widest range in the market, delivering peerless performance, fascinating technology, space and refinement across any terrain.
Moheyaldein Qassouma and Khalid Yousif Khamees, guests on behalf of Al Haddad Motors, exclusive dealers for Mercedes-Benz in Bahrain, said: We really enjoyed it a lot, it was a first time experience for us, the activities were excellent and we hope we get to go to a similar event soon.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service