2013 Mercedes-Benz GL features new technologies
Manama, December 9, 2012
The new GL from Mercedes-Benz features innovations such as the crosswind assist, the steer control system, the load recognition and the optional collision prevention assist (CPA), said a top official.
“The new GL occupies the top position amongst the luxury SUVs. With its comprehensive assistance systems it has a pioneering role where safety and comfort are concerned, and is on a par with an S-Class – even off the beaten track,” said Graeme Newport, general manager of Al Haddad Motors, dealers for Mercedes-Benz in Bahrain.
Other new features to become available are assistance systems such as active lane keeping assist and blind spot assist, together with a parking package incorporating an automatic function for entering and exiting parking spaces. In 2013, a 360-degree camera will also be available, added Newport.
Up to seven passengers enjoy an excellent amount of space and an optional ON&OFFROAD package for the new GL has six driving programs for optimising driving dynamics and handling safety, as the optimum drive system control is provided for an extremely wide range of on-road and off-road operating conditions.
The GL 500 4MATIC BlueEfficiency with a charged, direct-injecting BlueDirect petrol engine offers impressive performance coupled with high efficiency. On average the new model range undercuts the preceding model series by 19 percent when it comes to consumption figures.
The GL 500 4MATIC BlueEfficiency has an NEDC consumption of 11.3-11.6 l/ 100 km, making it the most fuel-efficient V8 petrol model in its class.
A turbocharged 4.6-litre BlueDirect engine with 435 hp is used here. The new generation consumes an average of 18 percent less fuel and offers the best classification currently possible: EU 5.
Alongside the ultra-modern engine technology, a comprehensive package of BlueEfficiency measures supports the superb fuel economy. In addition to the standard-specification ECO start/stop function, these include the new seven-stage automatic transmission 7G-Tronic Plus.
As part of its standard specification the GL has 20 inch light-alloy wheels, and as an option wheels up to 21 inches are available. The tail end with two-piece LED tail lights featuring fibre optics, a large roof spoiler a large roof spoiler and the bumper with integrated exhaust system, delivering a sporty and aggressive appearance for the luxurious full-size SUV.
For GL customers who place particular importance on a sporty, dynamic appearance, an extensive AMG Exterior Sports package is now available for the first time.
In addition to the hallmark-AMG front and rear apron, it also offers special wheel-arch flaring, which span over the 21-inch AMG 5 twin-spoke light-alloy wheels. Illuminated aluminium-look running boards also form part of the scope of supply, as do perforated brake discs and brake caliper covers with Mercedes-Benz lettering. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- 303 deaths linked to recalled GM cars: Watchdog
- Rising luxury car sales drives tuning industry
- Global debut for Audi RS 5 model
- New taxi laws to curb accidents in Abu Dhabi
- Traffic chaos fear in Bahrain
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm