Abu Dhabi F1 Circuit set for busiest season
Abu Dhabi, October 3, 2012
Yas Marina Circuit, the home of the annual Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix located on Yas Island, is getting ready for its biggest and busiest 2012/2013 season, said a top official.
“The launch of the 2012/2013 Calendar, including the announcement of the Yas Motor Racing Club, marks a new exciting chapter in the Yas Marina Circuit story,” remarked CEO Richard Cregan.
“Since the very first Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in 2009, we have worked tirelessly with members of the motorsport community, and the community at large, to organise and host events that not only foster a love and appreciation of motorsport within the UAE, but also community-focused events that respond to the needs and wants of the community,” said Cregan while addressing a press conference on Wednesday at the circuit’s Yas Racing School.
“This exciting new calendar- our biggest and busiest to date - reflects our ongoing dialogue with the UAE community as it also aims to engage and excite new Yas Marina Circuitfans and talent,” he noted.
Cregan pointed out that within four short years, Yas Marina Circuit has solidified its position as one of the most exciting motorsport, events and community venues in the GCC.
Unlike in previous years, the 2012/2013 Yas Marina Circuit calendar incorporates all events hosted at the circuit including motorsport and community events, as well as the circuit’s flagship race, the Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Also announced, and new this year, is the Yas Motor Racing Club, which was founded to develop grassroots motorsport racing across the UAE.
Yas Marina Circuit established Yas Motor Racing Club to organise various disciplines of motorsport racing at Yas Marina Circuit.
The launch of the racing club is part of Yas Marina Circuit and Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management’s ongoing commitment to building local, national and regional motorsports talent and audience interest in motorsports.
The establishment of the club means that the circuit for the first time is able to host and in collaboration with ATC-UAE, sanction its own races. Under the banner of the Yas Motor Racing Club, Yas Marina Circuit will host a wide variety of motorsport events including six rounds of Yas Marina Circuit’s own Yas Racing Series, four rounds of the Pro Drag Racing Series, two rounds of the GCC Drag Race Championship, Gulf 12 Hours, and the UAE Rotax Max Challenge.
In addition to an expanded motorsport program, the calendar also includes the largest schedule of Yas Marina Circuit community events to date.
As outlined within the 2012/2013 calendar, Yas Marina Circuit will host community favourites such as Train Yas, Adnic Yas Run, Tri Yas, Walk 2012 as well as new events such as Cycle Yas. Also new, and unique to the calendar, is the F1 in Schools World Finals which will see students from across the globe visit Ferrari World Abu Dhabi and Yas Marina Circuit to take part in this special “F1 before the F1”.
“To many, Yas Marina Circuit is as much as community, family and athletics centre as it is an F1 and motorsport circuit,” said Cregan. “Our regular Train Yas nights have been tremendously popular and events such as the Walk 2012, Adnic Yas Run and Tri Yas are highly anticipated by athletes of all ages and abilities,” he remarked.
“The 2012/2013 season is poised to be one of the best yet at Yas Marina Circuit,” said Cregan. “As the UAE community continues to grow and evolve at a rapid pace, we hope to grow along with it,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi