Bahrain sees 9,000 traffic breaches in a week
Manama, April 19, 2012
More than 9,000 traffic violations have been recorded in seven days in Bahrain, with the majority of offenders being pulled over for using mobile phones while driving.
The General Directorate of Traffic registered a staggering number of violations between April 5 and 11, which amounted to 9,508.
"The increasing number of traffic violations registered is a dangerous and an alarming sign," said Traffic Culture director Major Moosa Al Dossary in a statement yesterday.
"Reckless drivers were caught and action was taken against them. Traffic police have stepped up their crackdown to ensure drivers respect rules and regulations. This is an important step as part of our campaign to reduce the number of accidents on Bahrain's roads."
Major Al Dossary revealed that 1,019 violations were against drivers using mobile phones behind the wheel, 222 tickets were given to drivers who jumped red lights and 408 were issued to those who drove above the speed limit.
A total of 267 were fined for illegal overtaking, 159 for not wearing seatbelts and 95 for driving in a no-entry road.
Traffic police also stopped 61 people for allowing children under the age of 10 to sit in the front seat, while another 65 drivers were given tickets for carrying excess weight in their vehicles, which poses a threat to other motorists. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers