Emirati ace to ‘spur Abu Dhabi’s FIA bid’
Helsinki, July 28, 2010
Emirati ace Sheikh Khalid Al Qassimi will participate at the BP-Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team in Finland this weekend, at the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC).
He will be participating alongside his team mates Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala, a statement said.
Abu Dhabi’s Flying Finn, Hirvonen, who smashed last year’s event to clinch his first win on home soil, is also keen to recreate his good Scandinavian form, a statement said.
“I’m really hoping to win in my home city again,” said Hirvonen. "Last year’s victory was very special for me, I made my childhood dream come true and I want to repeat it. The team is working very hard and it would be awesome to reward them with a victory in Finland.”
Rally Finland has undergone a complete overhaul in the last 12 months, with organisers packing the 310.05 kms of action into just two days – making it one of the shortest and fastest events in WRC history, the statement said.
"Finland is an amazing rally and a challenge for every professional driver,” said Al Qassimi.
“I feel very confident in my driving, so hopefully I will be able to grab some more championship points. This event is really fast, and there is no room for error, so it could be one of the toughest races we have ever done.”
“To see how far we have come in a relatively short time speaks volumes about our commitment to motorsport, both domestically and internationally,” said Ahmed Hussein, deputy director general, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority.
“What is increasingly encouraging is the development of our grass-roots programmes, which have seen more young Emiratis become involved in the sport,” he added.
The Rally Finland action gets underway on July 29 with an opening Super Special Stage in Jyvaskyla. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers