Saleh aims for podium finish
Dubai, October 13, 2007
Michel Saleh has set himself a clear target in this weekend's Cyprus Rally as the UAE's Shaikh Khalid Al Qassimi and Qatar's Nasser Saleh Al Attiyah head for a showdown which could decide this year's FIA Middle East Championship.
Partnered by Lebanese co-driver Joseph Mattar in his City of Arabia Subaru Impreza, Saleh is aiming for a podium finish to boost his challenge for third place overall in this year's Middle East series behind the two big title rivals.
His hopes have been brightened by the news that the UAE's Shaikh Abdullah Al Qassimi, who holds fourth place in the championship, four points ahead of Saleh, will not be competing in Cyprus.
The UAE-based Lebanese driver hopes to capitalise on Al Qassimi's absence and pile the pressure on Jordan's Amjad Farrah who currently holds third place in the series, with two further rounds to follow in Lebanon and Dubai.
"I'll really be going for it this weekend because I want a podium finish and if I can get that I will have a chance of finishing third in the championship," said Saleh.
Saleh is particularly happy to have the vastly experienced Mattar alongside him in the City of Arabia Subaru. The Lebanese co-driver has navigated in 11 rallies in Cyprus and could be a major asset for his fellow-countryman.
Beginning with a ceremonial start tomorrow (Friday) at the Lemesos Promenade, the 2007 Cyprus Rally begins in earnest on Saturday with four special stages leading to a final five stages on Sunday.
Shaikh Khalid leads Al-Attiyah by 11 points, and Qatar's defending Middle East champion is determined to grab victory in Cyprus to ensure that his big UAE rival does not have an easy ride to this year's title over the last two rounds.- TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers