Emirati designers shine at BurJuman event
Dubai, April 22, 2013
Some of the finest Emirati fashion designers unveiled their latest collection of abayas, couture gowns and ready-to-wear lines at BurJuman during the second and third days of Mazyouna.
The event is the mall’s new initiative to provide a unique fashion platform for professional and emerging names on the Emirati fashion design scene.
The first fashion show on featured Moza Al Suwaidi’s abayas under her M-Collection label, a statement from the mall said. Blending the attire’s traditional essence with a Western form and sensibility, Moza’s collection drew upon the chic design cues that recently won her the Arwa’a Abaya Mission Innovation III award at Dubai’s Armani Hotel.
Aysha Al Dhaheri’s well-known Oushi Fashion label presented the next show, with a collection of abayas and couture gowns that displayed her signature innovative use of flowing lines and cascading fabrics, with colourful tassels and other elements as embellishments.
The evening’s finale was provided by the sisters-in-law team of Mariam Almadfaei and Safa Alawar with their 1001 Abayas label. Describing themselves as “accenting the art of being different within the boundaries of conservatism, decency and culture”, the duo stuck to their design principles with an abaya line in myriad fabrics with geometric decorative patterns.
Khawla and Roadha Bin Khedia presented their label Khawla W Roadha’s latest “Dolls Collection”. Drawing inspiration from every girl’s best friend, the overriding element of the collection, which used silk crepe de chine fabric, was colour as well as soft embroidery and appliqués of vintage dressed dolls on every piece, the statement said.
Sarah Al Madani’s Rouge Couture presented the ‘Abaya Engineers’ collection in which the designer worked with her best friend Apple Wang to offer what they called “a fusion of Arabian and Chinese design, which brings a unique trend and style tailored with class and elegance”.
The last fashion show in the three-day series saw Mariam Al Mazro’s Mimi Fashion brand display a signature capacity for innovation and elegance in a fusion of jelabiyas and western gowns in luxuriant fabrics that explored, according to the designer, “a woman’s desire of feeling special about what she wears”.
Mazyouna is a 10-day extravaganza of Emirati fashion which features some of the most talented local UAE-national design talent. Select design pieces from various collections featured on all the evening ramp shows will be exhibited at the mall until April 27. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film