NatGeo Abu Dhabi hosts top herpetologist
Abu Dhabi, December 9, 2012
National Geographic Abu Dhabi recently hosted Dr Brady Barr, renowned herpetologist and the enigmatic host of ‘Dangerous Encounters’ series, during his visit to the UAE.
While here, Barr met with fans, school children and competition winners, to spread the word on conservation and the importance of preserving our environment, while hosting hands-on demonstrations with the reptiles he specialises in.
Barr can currently be seen in season six of ‘Dangerous Encounters’, airing on National Geographic Abu Dhabi, in which his adventures lead him to wrangling one of the world’s deadliest snakes with high tech robots, firing innovative net-guns from a helicopter at an enraged hippo and provoking a white shark to attack.
During his two-day visit, Barr spent an evening with VIP guests at The Al Habtoor Grand Resort, followed by a day at Al Ain Zoo, during which time he met with school children and with the winners of National Geographic Abu Dhabi’s ‘Dangerous Encounters’ competition.
Barr shared his experiences and offered guests the opportunity to get up close and personal with exciting reptile species, while spreading the message that conservation is vital.
“This visit has been an exciting opportunity to meet with National Geographic fans in the UAE, and to educate them on the importance of conservation to save threatened reptiles. Reptiles don’t have the same appeal as more cuddly animals do, so it’s important to offer hands-on sessions and spread the word that they are just as interesting and as vital to the ecosystem,” said Barr.
Muna AlDaheri, acting chief conservation officer from the Al Ain Zoo, said: “Hosting Dr Barr at Al Ain Zoo has been a privilege. His views on conservation and attitude towards education through interactivity is in line with our own mission to provide sustainable environments in which people and wildlife can live in harmony and mutual respect. I would like to thank National Geographic Abu Dhabi for the opportunity to spread this important message to the people of the UAE.”
Rohit D’Silva, senior vice president and general manager (Mena), National Geographic Abu Dhabi, said: “For five thrilling seasons, Dr Brady Barr has thrilled fans of ‘Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr’ with his often death-defying efforts to educate the Channel’s viewers about reptiles.”
“We are delighted to have hosted Dr Barr in the UAE, to give his fans and show followers an unprecedented, first-hand experience with the man himself, coinciding with the launch of ‘Dangerous Encounters’ season six earlier this month,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE