Sharjah launches communication awards
Sharjah, September 24, 2012
Sharjah Media Centre has announced the launch of the Sharjah Government Communication Award, a pioneering initiative to improve effectiveness of the media and government communication in the GCC region.
As a first-of-its-kind award in the region, the inaugural edition will be held in the fourth quarter of 2013. The award will accept submissions from across the Gulf region from September 23, 2012 to September 2013.
The award is being established under the patronage of Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah.
The announcements were made at a press conference by Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed Al Qassimi, chairman of Sharjah Media Centre, and Osama Samra, director of Sharjah Media Centre.
Addressing the press conference, Sheikh Sultan said: “The award builds upon our commitment to improve responsibility, professionalism and transparency in communication within the GCC countries, and serves the interest of the public. This objective is based on the complementary role that government communication plays in conjunction with the media.”
The award will feature three groups comprising 11 categories. The first group will be given away on the basis of the nominations and votes received by the independent management committee. It includes the ‘GCC Countries Lifetime Media Achievement Award’, ‘GCC Media Milestone Award’, ‘Sharjah Government Spokesperson of the Year Award’ and the ‘Sharjah Most Informative Government Website Award’.
The second group will be awarded through nomination by a Government Peer and voted for by the jury panel. It includes two categories: ‘Award for Excellence in Government Communications, Sharjah’, and ‘Sharjah Young Journalist of the Year Award’.
The third group with five categories applies to UAE residents only. The categories are self-nominated by independent entrants and voted for by the jury panel. Categories are ‘UAE Best Image Use of the Year Award’, ‘UAE Social Commentary Columnist, Blogger of the Year Award, ‘Best UAE Reportage Coverage of the Year Award, ‘The Most informative UAE TV Programme of the Year Award’ and the ‘Best UAE Topical Radio Programme of the Year Award’. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released