Bahrain joins fight for women's rights
Manama, June 9, 2012
Bahrain has joined a regional coalition that aims to advance the status of women across the Middle East and North Africa region.
The newly-created Alwane (My Colours) programme is made up of experienced and emerging leaders from 17 countries and hopes to encourage them to stand up for their rights and influence national and international policies affecting their participation in society.
It was launched during simultaneous events in Dubai, Jordan and Tunis.
Alwane country officer Ammar Awachi, who headed a Bahrain delegation at the GCC launch of the coalition, said key areas it intends to tackle include support for female entrepreneurs and inadequacy of existing retirement plans for working women.
'Alwane is a phrase that stands for active leaders for women's advancement in the near east and it also means My Colours in Arabic, which evokes both the ability to colour our own future and the influence of diversity in leading change,' he said.
'I have formed a team of 20 members from both genders and different backgrounds and we will soon announce the location of our headquarters.
'We aim to raise awareness, create a platform for dialogue, advocate change and influence national, regional and international policies affecting women's participation in society.'
The programme has been launched by the US-based Women's Campaign International.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released