His Majesty King Hamad
Bahrain jails 5 tweeters on defamation charge
Manama, May 16, 2013
Five Bahrainis have been jailed for a year each for defaming His Majesty King Hamad on Twitter, a report said.
They include a teacher, a lawyer and two brothers who are students, according to the report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
All of them were convicted in separate cases by the Lower Criminal Court yesterday, despite pleading not guilty.
A third brother, who is believed to be abroad, was acquitted by the same court due to lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, the trial of another Bahraini accused of the same charge is still ongoing. – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- GCC alarmed over Iran's plans for more nuke plants
- Criminals 'are going hi-tech'
- 'Gulf nations ready to face challenges'
- Bahrain launches eGov Apps Store
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi