Saudis fighting in Syria warned
Riyadh, March 26, 2013
A Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman has warned Saudis fighting in Syria they will be arrested when they return home.
“Involvement in the Syrian crisis is against Saudi laws,” Major-General Mansour Al Turki was quoted as saying in a report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
He said yesterday that authorities will also crack down on those planning to travel to Syria to join the fighting there and that some Saudis who joined the Syrian conflict have already fought for Al Qaeda outside the kingdom.
He also commented on last week’s arrest of an 18-member spying ring.
The ministry has said the detainees included an Iranian, a Lebanese and 16 Saudis who were suspected of “gathering information about vital installations and locations”.
Iran denied any involvement. Al Turki says the kingdom did not implicate any specific country. – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Qatar denies Syria 'contact'
- Iran to take part in security forum
- GCC security bolstered by Royal grant
- Egypt to pay $1.5bn arrears to foreign oil firms
- Charles Russell opens Qatar office
- Egypt delays decision on $4.8bn IMF loan
- UAE, Netherlands sign investments deal
- Iran sees no big 2014 oil exports recovery
- Egypt ‘returned $500m deposit to Qatar’
- Bill to scrap expat levy is rejected