Bahrain unrest violations listed at 7,400
Manama, October 23, 2011
A major political society registered more than 7,400 complaints from Bahrainis and expatriates committed during the unrest.
The National Unity Assembly (formerly National Unity Gathering) human rights committee revealed the shocking findings in a report published yesterday.
"We registered 7,435 cases of which 454 were not accepted and the remaining 6,981 were approved and their cases will be followed up," said committee member Dr Adel Abdulla.
The society registered complainants through e-mails and walk-ins at the Islamic Society, Arad.
A total of 3,674 men and 3,305 women complained about being assaulted, hindered by traffic blockades and suffering due to the medical negligence of staff at Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC), among others.
The report is believed to be the first that provides precise information about the number of expatriates affected during the wave of anti-government protests that started in February.
NUA registered 520 complaints from expatriates with Syrians (19.8 per cent) the worst affected followed by Bangladeshis (16.3 per cent) and Yemenis (15.8 per cent).
During a Press conference at the Islamic Society, Dr Abdulla explained that most violations occurred in Budaiya.
The report stated that 27.3 per cent of complaints were directly or indirectly because of medical negligence at SMC, which was occupied by anti-government protesters supported by medics during the unrest.
"We have registered only one case of death due to medical negligence in the report," said Dr Abdulla.
The report also documents the cases of two policemen and a student who were kidnapped and assaulted by anti-government protesters.
The methodology of the report included random surveys in several areas and both Sunnis and Shi'ites were interviewed.
Dr Abdulla said the NUA human rights committee members were chosen according to their professional qualifications along with volunteers, who he said followed international standards in documenting each case.
Those interviewed stated they were still avoiding certain places fearing clashes between anti-government protesters and police and the majority believe the events of February and March were likely to be repeated in the future.
Dr Abdulla said the findings had been shared with the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, which is due to publish its report on alleged violations during the unrest to His Majesty King Hamad next month.
The Justice, Islamic Affairs and Endowments Ministry approved NUA as a political society on June 28. Twenty-five members were later elected to the society's central board for a 12-month term.
The group was formed to give a voice to those who felt they were not represented by anti-government protesters.
NUA chairman Dr Shaikh Abdullatif Al Mahmood attended yesterday's event. – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- ASAR named legal advisor for Kuwait project
- Dubai authorities seize 259 elephant tusks
- Iran bars Rafsanjani from presidential election
- Bahrain MPs vote to ban pork
- Saudi detains 10 more in Iran spying case
- Dubai Courts begins e-case registration
- Bahrain cuts new property registration cost
- Saudi to allow expats with new work visas
- Kharafi wins $930m damages from Libya
- US must stop 'Iranian plot against Bahrain'