'Hizbollah links' five arrested in Manama
Manama, March 24, 2011
Five Lebanese men working in a Manama restaurant have been arrested for suspected links to Hizbollah.
They were detained by security forces during an operation on Monday night.
The men, all said to be from the same family, worked at the Al Bairoti Restaurant on Old Palace Avenue.
'One of them worked as a cashier, while the other four were working as waiters,' a waiter working at the restaurant told our sister newspaper Gulf Daily New (GDN).
He said a group of police officers entered the restaurant and took them away.
'We don't have any further information,' he said. 'They were working for a long time in the restaurant.'
According to a report in the Lebanese newspaper Al Akhbar, Bahrain security forces raided the restaurant and arrested the five Lebanese staff, confiscating documents and computers.
It stated the case had been transferred to the military court and the Lebanese men belonged to the same family.
No one from the Lebanese Embassy could be reached for comment yesterday.
More than 5,000 Lebanese people live and work in Bahrain.
The GDN reported yesterday that Gulf Air suspended all flights between Bahrain and Lebanon until Friday. It said the decision was taken following the ongoing situation in the region and consequent reduction in passenger traffic.
Bahrain Air announced on its website that all flights to and from Beirut had been suspended until March 30.
'The decision has been taken for commercial reasons,' it said. 'There has been a considerable reduction in passenger demand.
'Making these flights is no longer viable.'
Bahrain's Foreign Ministry has warned all Bahrainis against travelling to Lebanon, citing terror threats. It also slammed comments attributed to Hizbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah about the unrest in Bahrain as 'blatant interference in Bahrain's internal affairs from terrorist parties'.
The Foreign Ministry has set up hotlines to assist Bahrainis in Lebanon, available on 009613824709 and 009613611936.-TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest