Bahrain TRA appeals against 4G case ruling
Manama, March 26, 2013
Bahrain's telecommunication watchdog has appealed against a ruling in favour of Menatelecom's bid for the right to offer 4G mobile phone services, a report said.
The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) is contesting an Urgent Matters Court verdict, which ruled against its decision to exclude Menatelecom from an auction involving its rivals Batelco, Viva and Zain, according to the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
A court date for the appeal has yet to be set.
However, it is understood a final ruling by the Administrative Court on April 30 will decide Menatelecom's fate in the auction.
The Cabinet last month approved plans to introduce 4G technology as part of efforts to upgrade Bahrain's broadband infrastructure.
Batelco, Viva and Zain had been due to submit their bids to operate fourth generation mobile telephone frequencies last Thursday, but it is understood the auction was postponed as a result of the court's decision. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m