Google in ATM tech day tie-up
Dubai, March 18, 2013
Internet giant Google has tied up with Arabian Travel Market (ATM), a major travel and tourism event to be held in Dubai, to sponsor the ATM Technology Theatre as part of the newly launched 'Digital Technology Day' on May 8.
As per the agreement, Google will be using the technology theatre to share insights of the travel industry and technology under the umbrella theme of “Think Travel.”
“This is a first for ATM and the regional travel and tourism community. Our partnership with Google will not only deliver up-to-the-minute industry data, but will showcase how technology plays a role in the travel industry - whether it’s searching for ideas or booking vacations or sharing their experience through social platforms,” remarked Mark Walsh, the portfolio director of Reed Travel Exhibitions, the event organisers.
Google’s Gulf regional manager, Mohamad Mourad and Marie de Ducla, the travel industry manager for Google in Mena will share the findings of a Google-commissioned research study conducted by IPSOS.
The study will reveal the results of how travellers in the Mena region make decisions when it comes to travel and purchase behaviour.
Google commissioned a similar survey for the US travel market in 2012, with 7,500 respondents completing a 21-minute attitude and usage survey into travel habits and attitudes of leisure, business and affluent travellers.
In addition to the study, The ‘Google Think Travel’ day will feature a series of seminars for industry professionals.
Several Googlers will be flying in including Nigel Huddleston, the industry head for travel in the UK; Dr Bernd Fauser, the global travel accounts director; Maciek Nowakowski, the travel product specialist and Edouard Mailfait, the mobile travel expert.
These executives will talk about everything from using the web for travel decisions to how travel brands can drive engagement and increase their brand awareness online.
The dedicated Travel Technology Theatre was introduced in 2012 in response to the huge demand for technology related content and the success of previous sessions within the main seminar theatre.
Targeting all ATM atendees, the programme covers online travel trends, new developments in social media and advances in travel technology.
The show has grown to become the largest event of its kind in the region and one of the biggest in the world and celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, Walsh reflected on the changing face of the travel industry and the essential role technology now plays.
“Google is the most widely used web-based search engine in the world and has literally changed the lives of hundreds of millions of travelers and travel industry professionals. However it is amazing to think that Google only registered its domain name in 1997, just 15 years ago," remarked Walsh.
"The Google seminar presentations will no doubt highlight the profound effect technology will have on the travel industry in the future," he added.
Held under the patronage of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE, Ruler of Dubai, the ATM will be held from May 6 to 9 at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit