Zain wins appeal in Kuwait lawsuit
Kuwait, February 2, 2013
Kuwaiti telecom operator Zain said it had won an appeal against a discrimination lawsuit filed by a member of the country's ruling family, according to a statement on the stock exchange.
The lawsuit, filed by Sheikh Khalifa Ali al-Khalifa al-Sabah, accused Zain of unfair selection of members to the board of directors in April 2011.
Kuwait's Court of Cassation rejected the essence of Sheikh Khalifa's lawsuit in a hearing on Jan. 30 and ordered him to pay the fees associated with the case, the filing said.
The ruling was final since the court was the highest legal body in Kuwait for the suit, it added.
At the April board meeting, Sheikh Khalifa was voted off the board, and Bader al-Kharafi, the vice chairman of Kharafi Group was elected in his place.
Sheikh Khalifa had steadfastly and successfully opposed the Kharafi-led proposed sale of a 46 per cent stake in Zain to Etisalat, with the Kuwaiti company's feuding board one of the reasons why UAE's top telecom operator scrapped its $12 billion offer in March 2011.-Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum