Zain, Huawei launch Kuwait LTE network
Kuwait, December 26, 2012
Zain, a pioneer in mobile telecommunications in 8 markets across the Mena, has partnered with leading global ICT solutions provider Huawei to launch a commercial LTE 1800 MHz network in Kuwait.
The network is the largest of its kind in the region and marks a major step for the development of the region’s mobile broadband market, said a statement from Zain.
Zain and Huawei expanded their LTE partnership after the successful deployment of GSM and UMTS networks in Kuwait. On November 21, Zain launched LTE services under the banner of “Wiyana Connect LTE”.
The newly-built LTE network supports CSFB (circuit switched fallback) technology for voice over LTE (VoLTE) services. Download speeds in the field have now been shown to exceed 90 Mbps, said a statement from the Kuwaiti company.
The new LTE network enables a wide variety of high-performance mobile applications and multimedia including video conferencing, high-definition content transmissions, high-speed video downloads, and social networking platforms, it stated.
These seamless mobile services, made possible by both the existing GSM/UMTS and new LTE networks, provide Zain’s subscribers with an unparalleled mobile broadband experience, the statement added.
Zain has also partnered with Huawei to provide diversified LTE smart devices, including smart phones, routers, hotspot MiFi and dongles. The partnership also includes agreements on various series of products, solutions, and services for terminal, radio access, core network operation and management.
Commenting on the launch, Zain Kuwait CEO Omar Al Omar said, "We are building a world class mobile network in Kuwait with GSM, UMTS, and LTE access to offer our customers an enormous coverage and speed improvement. We have selected Huawei as long-term strategic partner."
"We believe that Huawei's innovative solutions and rich commercial experience will enable our customers to enjoy an incomparable mobile broadband experience," he added.
Shi Yaohong, the president of Huawei Middle East, said: “Our successful wireless partnership with Zain for GSM, UMTS, and now LTE demonstrates the effectiveness of Huawei’s SingleRAN solution in helping operators manage the challenges of operating multiple networks and while meeting growing mobile broadband demands."
"We are committed to being the best business partner possible for our customers worldwide, and will remain focused on customer-centric innovation to do this," remarked Yaohong.
In addition to the current LTE agreement, the two companies have partnered on numerous occasions over the past several years including a 2011 agreement for Managed Services as Huawei contributes to cost improvements, efficiency and reliability of the operator’s network.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum