Bahrain sees number portability growth
Manama, May 19, 2012
More than 28,000 telecom users in Bahrain have benefited from the number portability service provided by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority in the Kingdom.
The Number portability service allows the consumer to move his number to another operator without any change on the number. For example, the subscriber of the number 12345678 (mobile or fixed line), with the operator (B) can move with his/her number to another operator (C) without amending or changing the number.
This proves that the consumers understand and are aware of their rights and freedom in choice of service provider that meets their demands and offers them the best service, said a TRA statement citing statistics.
The Bahrain telecom regulator said the key points the consumer needs to know when applying for, using and billing this service include:
*The consumer shall contact the service provider that he/she wishes to switch to, to apply for the service, and then the number will be ported under the supervision of the new provider.
*The consumer is not required to contact his/her current service provider to obtain its approval of the number portability request.
*After the number portability processis completed, the previous service provider will send the consumer an invoice of the charges prior to the number portability process and his/her contractual obligations - if any - where the consumer remains committed to the payment of all obligations and financial dues to the service provider in a timely manner.
*The numberwill return to the previous service provider in the case of the non-payment of the due invoices on time by the consumer, and in this case the consumer shall be required to submit a new application to restore the same number from the previous provider.
*Mobile number portability shall be conducted from one to Three working days and from one to Six working days for fixed number portability.
*A fee of maximum BD 4 is charged for mobile number portability and of BD 6 for fixed number portability.
TRA also advised the consumer to contact 81188 for more information enquiries about the number portability service.All information on the service can be viewed at www.ilovemynumber.com
Since its establishment in 2002 the TRA has been working with government, consumers, operators and investors to develop the Kingdom into the region’s most modern communications hub and to facilitate the growth of the market.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum