Italy announces first SARS virus case
Rome, June 1, 2013
Italy reported its first case of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-like coronavirus on Friday, a 45-year-old man who had been travelling in Jordan, the health ministry said.
The patient was in good condition and was being monitored in isolation, the ministry said in a statement. He was admitted to a hospital in Tuscany with a high fever, a cough and breathing difficulties.
A resident of Italy with foreign nationality, the man recently spent 40 days in Jordan where one of his sons was suffering from an unspecified flu.
Saudi Arabia has been the most affected by the virus, with 39 cases and 25 deaths so far, according to data from the World Health Organisation.
The virus, which can cause coughing, fever and pneumonia, has spread from the Gulf to France, Britain and Germany. The WHO has called it the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV).
It is from the same viral family that triggered the outbreak of SARS that swept the world in late 2003 and killed 775 people.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Europe braces for deadly hurricane Xaver
- 11 killed in Iraq mall attack
- EU slaps $2.3bn fine on top banks
- US lawmakers worried over Iran's enrichment ability
- HK, Malaysia eye closer Islamic finance ties
- Hezbollah blames Israel for commander killing
- EPA fracking study could hurt energy boom
- Arafat didn't die of poisoning, says French report
- Ukraine protesters threaten tighter blockade
- Investigator close to naming Arafat death suspects