Dubal, Mubadala take over Guinea Alumina Corp
Dubai, July 10, 2013
Dubai Aluminium (Dubal), the owner of the world's largest single-site primary aluminium smelter and Abu Dhabi state investment fund Mubadala have secured the full ownership of Guinea Alumina Corporation (GAC).
A leading producer of alumina in West Africa, GAC also mines for the raw material bauxite.
Announcing the GAC takeover, Dubal said along with Mubadala it had successfully acquired the remaining GAC stake from US-based Global Alumina Corporation and BHP Billiton, a leading resources company.
Dubal and Mubadala are also joint venture partners in Emirates Aluminium (Emal), a leading UAE-based Aluminium smelter at Al Taweelah, Abu Dhabi.
The acquisition move comes following the recent announcement of the creation of Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) by Dubal through integration of its business with Emal.
An entirely state-owned enterprise, Dubal has invested in joint venture bauxite/alumina projects, notably in Brazil, Cameroon, and the Republic of Guinea; as well as in a joint venture calciner development project in China.
The GAC acquisition will help the Dubal JV firm to embark on a global expansion and make it the fifth largest aluminium company in the world, said Dubal in a statement.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Yokogawa wins big order for Saudi desal plant
- Alba on track for record year
- App-controlled car booking to launch in Riyadh
- Bike sharing system launched at Gulf Traffic
- UAE-China trade surges 14pc
- Oman Oil Company unit plans industrial gas JV
- Etihad Cargo implements XML standard
- DI subsidiaries shine at ‘Made in UAE’ expo
- GAC unveils new hull cleaning solution
- Cathay to operate cargo from Al Maktoum airport