Mina Zayed container volumes soar 47pc
Abu Dhabi , April 19, 2012
The number of containers handled at Mina Zayed port in Abu Dhabi during 2011 rose 47 per cent year-on-year to 767,713 TEUs (twenty foot equivalent units), said a report.
The volumes at the port tripled from 250,000 TEU in 2006 to more than 767,000 TEU last year, Martijn Van De Linde, CEO of Abu Dhabi Terminals (ADT) was quoted as saying by the Gulf News report.
"The growth so far has been impressive, but the most exciting years are still ahead of us and we are now working hard on preparations for the opening of the new container terminal at Khalifa Port," he said.
When the new terminal opens in the fourth quarter of 2012, it will be the region's first semi-automated container terminal, he added.
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Gulf Extrusions unveils key techniques at Italy show
- Tata Steel rules out EU assets sale
- Egyptian firm Maridive inks $150m Islamic loan
- GPIC marks work safety milestone
- Sabic unveils green plastics for construction
- Sabic opens new facilities in Jubail
- Asry plans multimillion dollar floating dock
- TNT unveils new communication unit in Oman
- Hilco plans sale of seafood unit equipment
- Alessa unveils Qatar expansion plans