GEM acquires new vessel
Dubai, March 5, 2009
Leading tanker operator Gulf Energy Maritime (GEM) has acquired its 12th vessel, thus marking a 63 per cent completion of its newbuilding acquisitions.
GEM has taken delivery of the first out of six new vessels scheduled for delivery this year from Korea's Hyundai Mipo Dockyard (HMD).
Named Gulf Muttrah, the IMO II-N2 type 46,000 dead weight tonnage (dwt) vessel, the company is achieving all the targets set for 2009, Ahmed Essa Hareb Al Falahi, CEO of GEM.
“As the first of six new GEM vessels scheduled for delivery from HMD this year, we continue to be on the course of providing the market with safe, reliable and environment-conscious tonnage,” he added.
“As in the previous deliveries, Gulf Muttrah’s design and build are consistent with the highest standards of safety and quality - something we have consistently adhered to for all our ships – all for the benefit of our customers, the environment and our staff.”
GEM also has on order two Aframax vessels from Samsung Heavy Industries with a capacity of 114,700 dwt each are of Large Range 2 (LR2) specification – capable of carrying both clean petroleum products and dirty products such as crude and fuel oil, and scheduled for delivery in 2011.
After the delivery of Gulf Baynunah and Gulf Jumeirah in 2008, Gulf Muttrah is the third new IMO II N2 type 47,000 dwt vessel for GEM. With five more new vessels to be delivered within the year, such vessels include one more 47,000 dwt type two ship, and four larger vessels of 75,000 dwt. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures