Burjeel to set up gastroenterology centre
Abu Dhabi, November 25, 2012
Burjeel Hospital, a premier private healthcare facility in Abu Dhabi, is setting up a centre of excellence in gastroenterology under the guidance of a world renowned gastroenterologist.
Prof Dr Jacques Deviere is the chairman of the Department of Gastroenterology at the Erasme University Hospital in Brussels, and is one of the most well-known gastroenterologists in the world. Prof Deviere has more than 300 medical scientific papers to his credit.
“This is a special moment for me to be present here in Abu Dhabi to be part of Burjeel’s initiatives to create a centre of excellence in gastroenterology,” said Dr Deviere.
“The progress achieved by Abu Dhabi in providing quality healthcare is certainly impressive. I am delighted to be here at Burjeel Hospital which has created world class medical facilities for the residents of the UAE.”
The center will offer comprehensive services related to gastroenterology including diseases of the digestive system, liver and endoscopy services.
Dr Deviere recently participated in a Continuing Medical Education (CME) session organised by Burjeel Hospital to highlight the issue of obesity and its management.
Obesity has been recognised as a serious health issue in the UAE and the Middle East with recent World Health Organisation figures showing that 67 per cent of Emirati men and 72 per cent of Emirati women are overweight. Obesity conditions are linked to a host of medical issues including many related to gastroenterology.
“We are extremely pleased to host Dr Deviere, who is renowned for his expertise in the field of gastroenterology,” said Dr Shamsheer V P, managing director of Burjeel Hospital. “Burjeel Hospital is committed to the creation of centres of excellence in all specializations that are of importance locally as part of our efforts to provide overall wellness.”
“With the focus mostly on life threatening diseases, the importance of Gastroenterology in the overall wellness and health of a person is often ignored. Burjeel is fully committed to the complete wellness of the community and will work towards setting up centers of excellence in all areas which are of need in the region,” added Dr Charles Stanford, CEO, Burjeel Hospital.
This would be the third center of excellence to be set up by Burjeel Hospital. Through its tie-up with the Brussels University, an acknowledged leader in research and treatment for Reproductive Medicine, Burjeel is already offering the latest services in reproductive ailments, including IVF treatment.
Burjeel Hospital is also affiliated with Columbia University, US, to set up a center of excellence for cardiac diseases. – TradeArabia News Service
More Health & Environment Stories
- CGM acquires 3 European healthcare IT providers
- The age of genomic medicine dawns, finally
- Over 300 exhibitors for Saudi healthcare event
- Mackeen unveils document management solution
- Seha opens new clinics in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain
- SARS virus claims one more victim in Saudi
- New support group comes to overeaters' rescue
- RAK Hospital launches urinary clinic for women
- NBAD backs Emiratis on Antarctica trip
- Cut sugar intake drastically urges WHO
- Al khaliji to fund Qatar recycling plant
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- New facilitator to open in DHCC
- Many countries lack capacity to prevent hearing loss
- QUIT NOW: Passive smoking hurts kids' arteries
- San Francisco to ban plastic water bottles
- GSK wins home toothpaste award for Sensodyne
- E-integration vital to GCC healthcare industry
- Fakih IVF unveils two new genetic tests
- 2 die from H1N1 in Oman
- Al Noor Hospitals targets domestic growth
- Medical panel on the way in Bahrain
- 40pc of UAE adults ‘have hypertension’
- Saudi diabetics urged to stay away from camels
- GCC readies plan to fight heart diseases
- Bahrain opens sickle cell hospital
- Hazardous waste focus for Oman summit
- Infectious viruses to be tracked by satellite in UAE
- Mafraq Hospital names new surgery chief
- Saudi health ministry seals BMJ partnership