Aldar Q2 net profit triples to $113.8m
Abu Dhabi, August 9, 2012
Abu Dhabi developer Aldar Properties reported a three-fold rise in its net profit of Dh417.9 million ($113.8 million) for the second quarter, compared with Dh127.3 million last year, a report said.
Aldar, currently in merger talks with rival Sorouh Real Estate, saw the revenue for the quarter at Dh4.6 billion, compared with Dh775.7 million last year, said the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
The builder of the Yas Marina Formula One Circuit, in which state fund Mubadala has a near-majority position, said revenue was boosted by the handover of 1,058 units on Al Raha beach in the quarter, the report said.
Land on Al Raha beach, along with the Ferrari World Theme Park and other key assets, was sold to the government last year as Aldar struggled to manage its liquidity needs. The government handed a rescue fund of $10 billion in return.
Aldar said it is yet to receive Dh12 billion for three main asset sale agreements with the government made between 2009 and 2011. This includes Dh3.6 billion of revenue relating to land sales at Al Raha Beach.
"These contracted sales provide the foundation for Aldar's strong ongoing revenue and cash flow visibility over the coming quarters," the statement said.
The indebted developer announced earlier this year that it may merge with Sorouh in a state-backed tie-up that could create a company worth about $15 billion in assets.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings