Two consortiums win $2.5bn Saudi railway deals
Jeddah, February 16, 2011
The Saudi Railways Organisation awarded 9.38 billion riyals ($2.5 billion) in contracts to two consortiums to build four railway stations in the kingdom, it said on Wednesday.
The winning consortiums were led by Saudi Bin Laden Group and Saudi Oger.
The high-speed Haramain Railway will link Islam's holiest cities of Makkah and Madinah to the Red Sea coastal city of Jeddah, a key entry point for millions of pilgrims, and to King Abdullah Economic City, currently under construction.
Saudi Binladen Group's consortium includes Germany's Deutsche Bahn and Turkey's Yapi Merkezi while Saudi Oger led group includes Italy's Astaldi, Ansaldo, Singapore's ST Electronics and El Seif + Atkins.
"Two contracts were signed with Saudi Binladen Group for Makkah and Madinah stations. Makkah station with a value of 3 billion riyals and Madinah station with a value of 1.6 billion riyals," SRO's president Abdul Aziz al-Hokail said in an emailed statement.
"The other two contracts were signed with Saudi Oger Ltd, one to build a passenger station in Jeddah worth 2.9 billion riyals, and the other to build KAEC station in Rabigh with a value of 1.8 billion riyals."
SRO is also studying bids for the second and final phase of the Haramain Railway project which includes the construction of the railway tracks, installation of signal systems and telecommunications as well as the procurement of rolling stock equipment.
It will include infrastructure maintenance for the project for 12 years. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan