KFH says 20pc capital increase oversubscribed
Kuwait, June 20, 2013
Kuwait Finance House (KFH), the country's largest Islamic bank, said on Thursday its 20 per cent capital increase had been oversubscribed by shareholders, without providing specific details.
The bank was raising 319 million dinars ($1.12 billion) from the sale of 639 million new shares at 0.5 dinars each - a 35.9 per cent discount to the closing price at the start of June, when the offer period was announced.
The share sale, which ran for two weeks from June 5, will boost KFH's paid-up capital by 64 million dinars and would fund the bank's expansion and strengthen its balance sheet.
Kuwait government owns about 49 per cent stake in KFH.
Kuwaiti banks have suffered since the global financial crisis because of exposures to the local real estate and stock market whose values have dropped sharply. Exposure to local investment firms who borrowed heavily in the boom years to finance activity in both areas also hit bank balance sheets.
The sale will push the bank's Tier 1 ratio - the key measure of a bank's financial health - towards its 17 per cent target for the end of 2013. It currently stands at 13.6 per cent, below the 15.5 per cent average for the Kuwait banking sector, according to ratings agency Moody's.
Last month, Moody's downgraded KFH by one notch to A1 on the back of continuing pressure on asset quality, an increasing reliance on volatile investment income for revenue and the bank's complex organisational structure.
KFH said in November that it wanted to increase its capital as part of the bank's five-year strategic plan, with shareholders giving assent to the move in April.-Reuters
Tags: Kuwait Finance House |
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts Of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan