Bahrain Bourse targeting big growth push
Manama, March 7, 2013
Bahrain Bourse is working towards creating a full-fledged business model for buyers and sellers alike, the exchange's top official said yesterday.
Bahrain Bourse director Fouad Rahman Rashid was addressing a gathering of international and local finance industry leaders during the Euromoney Bahrain conference, said a report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
The bourse, which currently had a low share of the regional capital market trading turnover at only two per cent, had a new strategy which targeted growing it 10-fold to 20 per cent in the medium term, Rashid added.
He said the bourse was working towards more listings and wider retail investor participation.
There were plans to introduce an automated disclosure system, which would ensure greater, faster and more reliable information transparency and access.
BHB has also identified a vendor to replace the current trading system with a more robust, high-tech system.
The exchange also planned to offer lower commissions and fee waivers/holidays to incentivise brokers to go for online trading.
Another upcoming development is remote trading which would enable some sort of virtual consolidation of GCC bourses.
Brokerages across the region would be able to execute trades on the bourse, without having a presence here.
More than half of the bourse investors were non-Bahraini which makes it a regional exchange already, the director said.
On being asked if the global sentiment toward equity markets had changed, Rashid said confidence was coming back. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013
- Veteran Saudi banker to head AMF
- Dubai World prepays $284m to creditors
- EFG-Hermes sells Damas stake to Mannai
- Ultra rich number to grow 35pc in Mideast
- Saudi IPO market 'set for big year'
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Bahrain Bourse wins key UK award
- Alba backs Euromoney forum
- URC bond rating upgraded to stable outlook
- GCC urged to set up onshore financial centres
- Consolidation push paying off for Bahrain banks
- Mubadala to focus more on US, Europe
- Six banks join plan for shared customer data register
- UAE economy grows 4pc in 2013
- Egypt foreign reserves up to $17.3bn
- StanChart opens second branch in Iraq
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- Payfort offers zero deposit scheme to SMEs
- In a first, NCB Capital names female CEO