Paladin, Invest Ad to launch $100m fund
Dubai, May 14, 2012
Paladin Capital Group, a US firm, and Abu Dhabi's Invest Ad, plan to launch a $100-million private equity fund to invest in companies in fast-growing economies in the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey, the two companies said on Monday.
Private equity investment in the region is showing slow signs of revival after activity hit a slump in the wake of the global financial crisis in 2008. Several mid-sized deals have taken place regionally this year as companies look for capital to expand businesses.
"Small-and medium-size companies are the backbone of the region's economy, and they are hungry for capital to expand, operationally and geographically, in the process creating jobs and increasing profits," Michael Steed, founder and managing partner of Paladin, said.
The fund will be launched in a joint venture agreement between the two firms.
Washington-based Paladin has about $1 billion of committed and invested capital across multiple funds and has invested in over 50 portfolio companies.
Invest Ad is owned by Abu Dhabi Investment Council (Adic), which focuses on countries closer to home and is a separate entity from Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (Adia), one of the world's largest sovereign wealth funds. – Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia