Saudi Arabia’s Arriyadh Development Authority has unveiled the buses that will form the bus network of the Riyadh Public Transport Network.
This follows a meeting of the High Committee of King Abdul Aziz Public Transit Project chaired by HRH Prince Faisal Bin Bandar Bin Abdul Aziz, the chairman of the Council of the Arriyadh Development Authority.
The first few buses are undergoing testing, and more vehicles are being delivered. Bus services will commence later in 2019, a statement said.
In total, the initial Riyadh bus system will operate with 842 buses. The vehicles’ specifications are as follows:
• MAN -Lion’s City – 10.5m length; 65 passengers capacity; 2 doors; and fleet size - 242;
• Mercedes - Citaro - 12m length; 70 passengers capacity; 3 doors; and fleet size - 179; and
• Mercedes - Citaro G - 18m length; 110 passengers capacity; 4 doors; and fleet size – 421.
The buses have air conditioning which has been specially modified to operate with the extreme heat of the Riyadh summer.
The buses meet Euro 5 emission standards and offer on-board free wifi for customers. All buses are fully wheelchair accessible and incorporate air suspension for a smooth ride. In addition, interior and exterior design complements the design of the Metro trains.
The bus network is comprehensive with 2,860 bus stations and stops. Facilities at stops and stations vary according to usage with four different types of bus shelters.
A replica of one of the air-conditioned bus shelters can be seen by visitors to the Riyadh Public Transit Visitor Center.
Three different types of bus route will be operated:
• Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – fully segregated bus routes - three lines covering 103 km route length;
• Community lines – 19 lines covering 910 km route length; and
• Feeder lines – primarily to link local communities to the Metro – 58 lines covering 892 km route length.
Deployment of bus infrastructure (stops and shelters) is being done in parallel with BRT construction and is ongoing at 650 sites across Riyadh, the statement said.
The bus system will be closely integrated with the Riyadh Metro, enabling citizens to travel quickly, safely and cheaply across the city. This will improve connectivity between residential, commercial and industrial parts of Riyadh, it said. - TradeArabia News Service