Etihad likely to buy 25-30 Boeing 777X
Dubai, October 21, 2013
Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways is negotiating a multibillion-dollar order for dozens of Boeing jets including at least 25 of the US planemaker's revamped 777 mini-jumbo, two people familiar with the matter said on Monday.
The fast-expanding Gulf airline, which competes with other regional giants Emirates and Qatar Airways, is looking to buy between 25 and 30 of the revamped 777X, they said.
In a vote of confidence for Boeing's 787 Dreamliner, which has suffered a number of high-profile technical problems, Etihad may also increase its order for the lightweight passenger jet by as many as 30 aircraft, one of the sources said.
Etihad, which has 41 Dreamliners on order, declined comment.
Boeing said interest was "high" for the revamped 406-seat 777X but declined comment on individual negotiations.
Etihad is among several airlines in negotiation with Boeing and Airbus for large twin-engined jets, industry sources have said. The two planemakers compete aggressively for new orders and such negotiations are subject to last-minute swings.
The provisional Etihad order, which can only be completed when Boeing formally decides to build the proposed 777X family of two models, could be worth $18 billion at list prices.
An announcement could be timed to coincide with the tenth aniversary of the airline's first flight on Nov. 12, pre-empting the Dubai Airshow, the region's largest aviation event.
Dubai's home carrier, Emirates, has said it is considering what many in the industry expect to be a blockbuster order for Boeing 777X jets at the Nov 17-21 gathering. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador