Abu Dhabi lines up 21 shows for Eid
Abu Dhabi, October 2, 2013
Seven malls across the Abu Dhabi emirate will come alive with dynamic shows by 21 internationally-renowned street performers during next month’s EidFest Abu Dhabi celebrations.
The event runs from October 15-17.
With the cream of Argentine, Spanish, English, Scottish, Dutch, American, Canadian and Australian street theatre performers in Abu Dhabi for the first time, the 19 specialist acts will stage 40-minute shows at Al Ain Mall and Bawadi Mall in Abu Dhabi’s heritage Oasis City, as well as the UAE capital’s Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi Mall, Mushrif Mall, Dalma Mall and the recently-opened The Galleria at Sowwah Square.
Additionally, two purpose-built stages on Abu Dhabi Corniche will let audiences see the street acts in their traditional outdoor environment, while an Eid Market and Heritage Zone – where passers-by can have their hands painted with henna or watch traditional ayala dancing – will boost the cultural offering.
“We wanted to do something different this EidFest and our roster of global street performers certainly fits the family entertainment bill,” said Faisal Al Sheikh, director, Events Bureau, Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi).
The Abu Dhabi-bound performers bring leading street theatre acts from six European cities, three Australian cities, as well as New York, Tampa and Toronto to the emirate. The series is part of a specially-designed entertainment programme underpinning this year’s EidFest Abu Dhabi – a co-ordinated campaign spearheaded by TCA Abu Dhabi that combines leading offers from hospitality stakeholders and lets visitors and residents share in the seasonal celebration.
With London’s Shandy South (comedy / mime), Dan Waples & Flavio (specialist music), Rob Collins (comedy) and Kwabana (high-wire) swapping Covent Garden for the Oasis City, Australian acts include comedians Benny B, Mullet Man and The Great Dave, while Barcelona performers KIKI and Shay Horay will bring a touch of fiesta flavour to Abu Dhabi Corniche.
The EidFest Abu Dhabi line-up also includes Argentine comedy football legend, Victor Rubilo; renowned illusionist Todd Various, a perennial favourite of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival; Amsterdam hula hoop sensation, Lisa Looping; and Floridian dance troupe, USA Breakdancers.
“We have cast the talent net far-and-wide to create a diverse, free-to-attend programme which will highlight every major form and genre of international street artistry,” added Al Sheikh.
For more information on the street performance schedule during EidFest Abu Dhabi, or other activities involved in the celebrations, call toll-free 800 555 (UAE only). - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity