Largest Holiday Inn planned in Makkah
Makkah, August 26, 2013
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) and Makkah Real Estate Company have signed an agreement to build the world’s largest Holiday Inn, due to open in Makkah in 2016.
The 1,238-room Holiday Inn Makkah will be the first on the pilgrimage route and will be located in Al Aziziyah area near the city’s business centre, said a statement.
The agreement responds to the boom in religious tourism to Saudi Arabia. Over 3 million pilgrims participated in Haj in 2012, up eight per cent on the previous year, and more than half of all inbound tourists to Saudi Arabia travel to the religious cities of Makkah and Medinah throughout the year.
The total number of tourists travelling to Saudi Arabia is expected to continue its growth to reach 15.8 million by 2014, up from 13 million in 2010.
The hotel will be built in two towers and will house three food and beverage outlets including an all day dining restaurant and two coffee shops. Facilities include a ballroom, health club and pool.
Hani Hamad Al Ghammas, chief executive officer, Makkah Real Estate Company, said: “We are pleased to be announcing this new agreement with IHG. The Holiday Inn brand is all about great value and providing both comfort and quality. We are confident that this formula, which has been hugely successful elsewhere in Saudi Arabia, will be the ideal offering for religious travellers bound for Makkah each year.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines 'set to rake in $2.4bn in profits'
- Gulf Air launches flights to Sialkot
- Qatar Airways raises Colombo flight capacity
- GCC takes on the Caribbean in big cruise tourism war
- Etihad finace head wins top award
- Turkish Airlines boosts Africa network
- New Holiday Inn hotel opens in Mauritius
- Abu Dhabi Aviation to get latest Bell helicopter
- Gulf Hotels Group plans new spa complex
- Starwood joins hands with Bentley