Etihad investment to complete in a few months: Jet
New Delhi, July 16, 2013
Jet Airways (India) expects investments by Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways in the airline to be completed within the next few months, Jet Chairman Naresh Goyal wrote in the company's annual report.
Etihad in April agreed to buy a 24 percent stake in Jet for $379 million. It is also making a $150 million equity investment in Jet's frequent flyer programme, and spent $70 million to buy Jet's three pairs of Heathrow slots through a sale and leaseback agreement announced in February.
"All these investments...are subject to obtaining the requisite regulatory and corporate approvals and final commercial agreements, which is expected to be completed within the next few months," Goyal wrote to shareholders.
Etihad's investment in Jet, which is the first by a foreign operator in an Indian airline since ownership rules were relaxed, is yet to win regulatory approval. India's Foreign Investment Promotion Board last month deferred a decision seeking more details on "effective control".
The deal also needs to be cleared by the capital markets regulator and will need final approval from a cabinet panel on investments.
Jet, which has called its annual shareholder meeting on Aug. 8, is seeking shareholders' approval to increase its borrowing limit to 250 billion rupees ($4.2 billion), according to the annual report posted on its website. – Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey