BA to introduce A380, Boeing planes into fleet
London, June 12, 2013
British Airways is set to become the first airline in Europe to introduce both the Airbus A380 and the Boeing 787 into its fleet, said a senior official.
The airline will take delivery into the UK of its first two 787s on June 26 and 27, followed by its first A380 on July 4. They will arrive around mid-morning.
Keith Williams, chief executive, said: "The delivery of these exciting aircraft opens a new chapter in British Airways’ history. We are proud to be leading the way in Europe in operating both these aircraft types. Over the next 12 months, we will take delivery of new long-haul aircraft at an average rate of one every two weeks."
“These deliveries form the centrepiece of the £5 billion ($7.8 billion) investment British Airways is making in new aircraft, smarter cabins, superb lounges and new technologies to make travel more comfortable in the air and on the ground.
“Both aircraft types make major environmental advances and will contribute toward our ambitious targets for noise and carbon reduction.”
Following their arrival, both aircraft types will begin a complex ‘entry into service’ programme, which will see pilot and cabin crew training taking place at Manston Airport in Kent, customer service trials at Heathrow and short-haul flying for both aircraft, including flights within the UK.
British Airways has ordered a total of 12 A380s, 24 787s and six Boeing 777-300ERs for delivery over the next four years.
Twenty-two of these long-haul aircraft are scheduled to come into the airline’s fleet by the end of summer 2014. The second A380 is due to be delivered in September 2013, it stated
Seats on the A380 are currently on sale for travel from October 15 to Los Angeles and from November 15 to Hong Kong. However the airline is advising enthusiasts eager to be on the very first long-haul services to hold off booking as the dates of the inaugural services are yet to be announced.
The British carrier said the first destinations for the 787s, and the date tickets go on sale, will be unveiled shortly.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers