Cathay donates HK$2m for quake relief
Hong Kong, June 2, 2013
The Cathay Pacific Group has raised HK$2 million (US$257,633), through a corporate-wide appeal, to support Unicef’s relief efforts in Ya’an, Sichuan in mainland China, where an earthquake in April took a devastating toll.
The donation includes around HK$850,000 contributed by Hong Kong and overseas staff between April 29 and May 10, together with dollar-for-dollar matching by the company.
Participating companies included the group’s two airlines, Cathay Pacific and Dragonair, and six wholly owned subsidiaries – Asia Miles, Cathay Pacific Catering Services, Cathay Holidays, Cathay Pacific Services, Hong Kong Airport Services and Vogue Laundry.
The funds being presented to Hong Kong Committee for Unicef (Unicef HK) also include around HK$1.15 million collected from passengers on Cathay Pacific and Dragonair flights between May 1 and 15 under the Change for Good inflight fundraising programme.
Cathay Pacific director, corporate affairs, Chitty Cheung said: “We were all deeply saddened by the news of the latest earthquake to hit Sichuan and the terrible impact it has had on the lives of the province’s people. We are very grateful to our staff and passengers for contributing to our appeal to help the people of Sichuan. We know this money will be put to good use by Unicef, which has been our trusted partner in the Change for Good programme since 1991.”
The monies raised in the appeal will go directly to Unicef to help children who are suffering in the aftermath of the earthquake and are in need of medical supplies, nutrition, education, clean water and sanitation. - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity