Flydubai launches flights to Salalah
Dubai, May 27, 2013
Dubai-based budget carrier flydubai has reached a new milestone with operations to two new destinations - Salalah, its second in Oman and Mattala in Sri Lanka. This takes the airline's operational network to 60 destinations.
The inaugural flight FZ039 touched down at Salalah airport just hours before flydubai began scheduled operations to Mattala, its second point in Sri Lanka, following a special flight in March on the opening day of Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport.
The high-level delegation led by flydubai’s chief commercial officer, Hamad Obaidalla, was met at the airport by Sheikh Hamood Bin Mustahil Al Mashani, VP of Muscat Overseas Group; Sheikh Abdullah Bin Saif Al Mahrooqi, the deputy governor of Dhofar; Salim Bin Awadh Al Yafi, the director general of Salalah Airport and Khalid Bin Musallam Bin Salim Al Rawas of the Directorate General of Tourism in Dhofar.
Speaking at a special reception held inside the airport terminal, Obaidalla said, “With Oman just next door to the UAE, there is a long history of tourism and trade between our countries. Through this new service we hope to further enhance these ties and make it easier and more convenient to travel between Dubai and Salalah."
Also present for the celebrations were; Omar Bin Ghaleb, the deputy director general of the General Civil Aviation Authority; Mohamed Al Zarouni, the head of Air Transport at the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority; Salim Al Kathiri, the CG of the Consulate of Oman in Dubai; and Ahmed Jassim, the director of PR for the office of Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Salalah, the second largest city in Oman, is known for its beach and mountain landscapes. It also enjoys cooler climes than neighbouring cities in Oman and the region making it a popular holiday destination, especially during the summer months.
Flydubai will operate flights to Salalah on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. FZ039 will take off from Dubai Terminal 2 at 4.20pm and lands in Salalah Airport at 6.20pm. On return, FZ040 will depart Salalah at 7.20pm and arrive in Dubai at 9.30pm.
The round trip fares from Dubai to Salalah start at Dh845 ($229) with fares from Salalah to Dubai from Dh139.
Welcoming the flights, Salim Al Kathiri said: “We are very pleased to celebrate the opening of this new gateway between Oman and Dubai. As the summer travel season approaches, I look forward to welcoming more visitors from the UAE to Salalah.”
Earlier in the day, Obaidalla inaugurated the new flydubai Travel Shop in Salalah, making it even easier for passengers to book their travel to Dubai.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers