Jet Airways shareholders approve Etihad deal
New Delhi, May 24, 2013
Shareholders in India's Jet Airways approved an agreed sale of a 24 per cent stake in the airline to Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways, a senior executive at the Indian carrier said on Friday.
Jet Airways, however, deferred seeking shareholder approval for a new set of "Articles of Association" as it awaits regulatory clarity, company secretary Arun Kanakal told Reuters after a shareholders' meeting.
Etihad, in April, agreed to acquire a 24 per cent stake in Jet for $370 million, giving it a bigger foothold in the fast-growing Indian market.
Etihad's investment is the first by an overseas operator in an Indian airline since ownership rules were relaxed and provides Jet with a deep-pocketed global partner as well as cash to retire debt.-Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria
- Gulf Air launches loyalty promotion
- Hala Abu Dhabi launches tours, safaris
- Kenya starts work on $654m airport project
- Gulf Air wins top eContent award
- Dubai fund ICD buys landmark Atlantis hotel
- Qatar Airways to launch Dallas/Fort Worth route
- Ritz-Carlton Bahrain appoints new sales chief